The first egg for Nest 3 was laid sometime yesterday afternoon, 24 April. By then the pair had been together for 17 days. They had been mating since their reunion so why the arrival of the first egg is later than usual for them – and most established pairs – is a mystery.
There was an egg by the next recording slot.
This morning on a windy and cold day with snow showers the female incubated with few turns of the egg.
Review of Nest 4 footage yesterday indicates the second egg was laid at 12.21. A little earlier only one egg was visible when the female turned it. But the next time she stood up after a couple of ‘chips’ a darker egg was visible behind egg 1.
On Sunday at least two intruders were seen near or on the nests. An unringed male disturbed Nest 2 a couple of times.
On Nest 1A Mrs YA had to eject two ospreys who landed.
Readers may recall Blue AK1 was seen on the Nest 1A camera on 18 April. Since then she has been photographed at Esthwaite Water in Cumbria and also landed on the Foulshaw Moss nest covered by a nestcam, which isn’t where the pair are breeding this year. Where will she be seen next?! Also seen at Esthwaite Water around the time of Blue AK1 was Blue 7A. He is one of 2010 Kielder hatched Blue 35’s chicks from her first successful year of breeding at Foulshaw Moss, 2014. It was a thrill for us to see the photo in the link above. Blue 35 is the only Kielder origin osprey we know is breeding and this is the first time one of her offspring have been reported in the UK, as far as we are aware. A milestone.
Finally UV’s data shows he has returned to an area of NE Spain he used last year for some R and R after his 5800 km migration across Africa. How long will he stay? Paul has prepared a forecast from the latest weather data.
“The Arctic air mass which is giving us these hailstorms and low temperatures in the UK will gradually move away towards the continent during the remainder of this week. It will be replaced by more typical Atlantic maritime conditions, which could give UV a very easy ride home during the following week if he decides to re-start his migration then.”